Better than what...




Better than what... Better than ever... Better than your average bear... Better than I used to be... Better than nothing...
You'll just have to read on and decide for yourself.

About Me

My photo
Springfield, MO, United States
I'm a continual work in progress.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Passing Twinkle

I'm having trouble sleeping tonight. Listening to my tunes usually puts me to sleep but tonight I'm Foxtrotting to the music. Its heady stuff to get a taste of feeling graceful. I noticed tonight that I was dancing on my toes in the ballroom class. I started dancing on my toes in kindergarten at Evangel. I don't remember the play but I was the fairy in a pink tu tu with a magic wand tapping the toys (other children) on the head in the train. I was on my toes then and I felt beautiful and confident. About 4th grade my inner sense of grace went flying out the window when we moved, I started wearing glasses, and I was taller than everyone in my class. Nothing like being called Jolly Green Giant to give a girl a complex. I'm not even that tall as an adult, 5'6" is not even average any more. Amazing how those childhood taunts stick with you long after you've outgrown them. Tonight we Foxtrotted for awhile and then we learned a passing twinkle. In this move the girl steps across her partner on the inner foot with a twirl, then back on the other foot with  a twirl, couple of twirls in all, then back into the Foxtrot. It's a little like flying with someone to catch you on either side. I'm feeling a need for dancing shoes. I think I'm becoming addicted to the adrenaline high. Grace Kelly I'm not but wait a minute could she even dance? I had my head tilted up looking over my partner's shoulder and R accused me of watching myself in the glass window. Wish I'd thought of that and who would have ever thought someone as self conscious as me would make a statement like that. I confess I did do a couple of twirls in the parking lot on the way to the truck after class. Maybe I'm a dance junkie - I wonder if there's a group for that?



No comments:

Post a Comment