Better than what...




Better than what... Better than ever... Better than your average bear... Better than I used to be... Better than nothing...
You'll just have to read on and decide for yourself.

About Me

My photo
Springfield, MO, United States
I'm a continual work in progress.

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Worth It



The epic trip to Kansas City started before the crack of dawn, 4:00am to be exact. Tried to sleep the night before but found myself laying in bed awake thinking about the Knights of Nay from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I don't know why but did the nay sound like my mother telling me to stay off the snowy roads, hmmm? Maybe I did just figure that out. LOL. Needless to say I pushed that advice right out of my head and rolled on over to Lauren's. Got the truck loaded, needless to say it was a cozy nest in the truck. We were doing well until about the edge of town on highway 13. Man did those roads need plowed. I was going slow but we had a fishtailing incident that scared the bejesus out of both of us. We almost died. Fortunately there wasn't anyone around us and I pulled it back together. Didn't touch the brakes so I did good. It was white knuckle driving all the way to Collins. Don't know where Collins was exactly and we didn't seem to pass through it on the way back. We may have been in an alternate universe at that point. Lauren is a wonderful traveling companion, the conversation all day was deep and wide. My brain was humming with the stimulation. My navigator on my Droid did an amazing job this trip. Lauren would look up the address on her I-phone, we'd plug it into the Navigator and we were expertly guided wherever we went. Clinton for breakfast and a pit stop and we off again. The roads were much clearer the closer we got to KC. I don't even know what time we got into Good Ju Ju. It's was definitely an awesome experience although a bit crowded and wild. There were people wandering around in green martian antenna and pink heart antenna and a lot of zealous guarding of pieces till they could get someone over to carry something out. Lots of goodies there! I saw several older pieces, tables, buffets, dressers painted in really pretty pastels in a distressed finish. Beautiful. I'd just painted my bookcase in that shade of robin's egg blue so I think I was really feeling those spring colors. Found a gorgeous little painted tray there. Everytime you circled around you'd find something you had missed the first time. They almost dropped a wardrobe on me. I could have died. We went two or more places during the day, I don't think I remember all the names. Rivermarket? Top to bottom, Under bottom, over the hill? Each one was full of cool stuff. Rivermarket was similar to those older buildings we have downtown with about three floors and a basement full of goodies. It was less crowded and lovely. Found a great bowl and my canister set there.We also visited a private dealer while we were there. He was an odd little man. Lauren managed to pry something wonderful out of his little hoarder hands but it took finesse. Had a nice dinner at Olive Garden (familiar comfort of a good salad - our plans for dessert did not materialize, we were just too stuffed). The third place we went to was next to the railroad tracks and we were a bit leary about leaving our stuff on the truck unguarded. Lauren asked the guy inside about the safety issue and he assured us it would be okay. He actually went outside and checked on everything for us while we were inside looking around. Lovely people those Kansas Cityans.  Made a final stop at the World Market. Had a blood orange soda and found a really cute mini colander for Rhi's Ramen in a bright blue. Also an adorable little decorated set of multicolored measuring spoons. We headed back out on the road late evening, was it 10:00? I don't know it was a blur by that time. Again roads were fine until we ran into snow in Clinton. You could see through the snow but you couldn't see the lines on the road. Fortunately not a lot of traffic. It was so sparkly. Stopped in Clinton for a cheeseburger and coffee. Never did see Collins again. I think it was an optical illusion. We didn't really almost die turning off in Clinton. I had it under control Lauren geez! LMAO. Finally made it back to Springfield and people were sliding all over the road just at Kansas and Kearney. We stopped by the house and dug Rhi's car out of the driveway at midnight. (Rhi pushed too). Above and beyond Lauren. Thanks again! Got Lauren delivered and the truck unloaded. Went home and I had Rhi pry my boots off (we did dig her car out after all) and fell into bed to sleep like a rock till about 11:00 today. Wow what an adventure. We are definitely going back!

2 comments:

  1. You two deserved to get some fine goodies considering you crazies made that trip in the snow and ice to start with!!!! I am longing to go...just have to get some $$$ saved up...maybe in March a "herd" of us could go?

    ReplyDelete