Better than what...




Better than what... Better than ever... Better than your average bear... Better than I used to be... Better than nothing...
You'll just have to read on and decide for yourself.

About Me

My photo
Springfield, MO, United States
I'm a continual work in progress.

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Sometimes you just gotta drive!

Rhi gave up her job at the barn and I am loving having her back to run around with on Saturdays. Today we headed out early with the intent to visit Baker Creek Seeds. Started with breakfast at IHOP and yummy blueberry pancakes. Since we were so full we decided to walk over to the blind center across the parking lot.

We found a great old antique desk with book shelves on either side and a footrest on the bottom. Solid wood and an amazing $20 price tag. Score! We need to clean it up and sand it, then we're going to paint it in a fun color not sure what yet. We're going to use a different color and stenciling on the back of the shelves. This was discussed extensively while we were getting it loaded and brought back home.


So when we got back on the road we went East on 65, yes I was thinking Marshfield instead of Mansfield. Needless to say our navigator took us on an interesting route. But that was okay because we were seeing a lot of pretty scenery on the way and we have decided to dust off the camera so Rhi can get some black and white scenery shots to display on the new desk under glass. I'm thinking if we also paint the top with chalkboard paint we can write little notes about the photos and change them out when we get tired of them. I think photos of rock houses would also be interesting. We used to live across the street from a rock house when I was four and I kind of have a thing for them. Plus they're hard enough to find to make it interesting but there are enough of them in the area that it's doable. 

We ended up out in the woods on a twisty, hilly little dirt road in what appeared to be the middle of nowhere. Oh what, you want us to turn down that goat track navigator? What, make a U-turn in the cow pasture navigator? Some people don't have faith in the navigator but I have confidence in my little phone app - at least that was what I was telling myself as we inched over the crumbly concrete bridge with the sparkly little creek. It was all good though. Navigator was just taking us in by the back route to Baker Creek. Ta Da! There it was - not open of course. Apparently they're open Sundays but not Saturdays. We were into the drive by then though so really "eh", no big deal. That's when we discovered there was a front way out. So we reset the navigator and headed back to town. 

We got to see several Amish folk out in their horse and buggies as we went through Seymour. Crane, Seymour, outer Mongolia, I'm not sure where all we were today but we found an amazing flea market on the way back called " ComeOnIn" Antiques

We found an old cowboy tub in the front yard, there were benches and pots, wheels, and fountains made out of whisky barrels with old pump handles attached. Lot of bright sun in this picture. 


The inside was also amazing. We found this wooden salad bowl right off the bat and the owner (I assume he was the owner, nice old guy who followed us around a bit. I think he was really happy to show off his stuff. and he gave us a five dollar off deal when we asked about the price. Yep this lovely salad bowl set came home with us.


Every nook and cranny was full of interesting things, there were glass doorknobs, and steamer trunks, bowls of crystal chandelier pendents (oooh sparkly). Here are just a few of the things I liked...



Spinning wheels and vanities oh my!








Chandeliers and cupboards... which by the way I really don't know where I would put it but I want this turquoise cupboard. They have lay-a-way. Awsome!



When my spellchecker gave me options for mannequin one of the choices was manliness... maybe in a Dr. Who sort of way. LOL
Gumballs and Spartan helmets and whatever that mannequin is holding up there. I was a little bit frightened. But wouldn't a Beta swimming around in one of these gumball machines be cool. Wonder if they're waterproof?




You can't tell from this picture but Rhi really wanted the Spartan helmet.




There was stuff on the ceiling too. Check out the umbrellas...



The purple one is my favorite. We stopped to look at some old windows on the way out and I snagged a fresh blackberry or two off the bush next to them.




I think we will be checking this place out again real soon! I hope we can find it. We have a card that almost blew out of the truck on the way back. Rhi saw the top lifting off the box in the truck bed and I whipped over to the side of the road. She said "of all the areas along this highway, you had to stop in the one with the big pile of horse crap!" and it was fresh. What can I say - there were a lot of Amish out today.







No comments:

Post a Comment